Search My Notes

There are many pages of posts on many subjects, and only a few show on this main page. Search for the subjects that you are interested in.

Topics covered in here tend toward Gadgetry, Weapons, Books, Tools, and a lot of other things that have captured my interest.

Please note the "Linked From Here" tab on the results, which lists search results from sites I have linked to in my posts.

Portable Apps: Thumbdrive Heaven

http://www.makeuseof.com/images/usb-apps.jpg
A true Portable App:
  • Must run without installation.
  • Must run on older versions of Windows.
  • Must not have any connection with Internet Explorer, audio or video codecs, DirectX, etc.
  • Must not write settings to the registry or local file system.
  • Must not leave any trace on the host machine, even when the app crashes.
  • Must run with guest access rights.
  • Must be able to adapt to USB drive letter changes.
I carry some programs and a few utilities I love like Ztree and PSPad on a thumbdrive on my keychain, handy for when I am asked to work on someone else's computer. Having these programs available has saved me a lot of time and hassle, and I would not like to be without them.

Here are some sources for Portable Apps:

http://portableapps.com/sites/all/themes/portableappsnew/images/portable_apps_logo.png

This site has A number of applications and also the PortableApps Suite, which includes the integrated PortableApps.com Menu and the PortableApps.com Backup utility along with a set of custom icons, an autoplay configuration, folders and a quick start shortcut. In addition, the package includes:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/graphics/logo.gif
If the PortableApps doesn't offer enough or you can't find what you need, The Portable Freeware Collection will probably have what you are looking for, and more besides, with over 1400 additional applications and games.

0 comments: