Search My Notes

There are many pages of posts on many subjects, and only a few show on this main page. Search for the subjects that you are interested in.

Topics covered in here tend toward Gadgetry, Weapons, Books, Tools, and a lot of other things that have captured my interest.

Please note the "Linked From Here" tab on the results, which lists search results from sites I have linked to in my posts.

Leveling Crosshairs: Reposted.

Quick and dirty:

I clamp my rifle in my gun vise. Forget about leveling it or anything like that because you don't have to. Loosen the ring caps so the scope tube will turn. Place a mirror at least 10-15 ft away and look through the scope. Turn the scope until the vertical crosshair splits the muzzle right in the middle. The scope and rifle are now in alignment. Once you do it its very easy. I've used this method for several years and it works fine.

Let me add this tip as well. If you can't see your bore (on smaller caliber rifles), Cut a Q-tip in half and put it in the muzzle. That will give you a nice white spot to see. Stick the stick end into the muzzle up to the cotton end just enough to hold it there.

Thanks and a salute to DDJ and t/c223encore at the Predatormaster Forums for this tip.

(Me) (Home)

2 comments:

Jean&Vic said...

I meant to ask before, at what range does this work to? I know with the 30-06 we use testing at 40 feet puts us in the right range for 200 yards due to trajectory (If memory is not playing tricks on me today ;-) but am curious at what range this sights the rifle and scope for.
V

Jim Handcock said...

Um, this does NOT sight in your rifle, it just assures that your vertical crosshair is aligned with the center of the bore.

This is important because if you hold over the target for a long range shot and your crosshairs are not vertically centered on the bore, your shot will go left or right of where it should.

It also tends to keep you from canting your rifle, which is a non-no.

Once the alignment is done you still need to sight in.