Search My Notes

There are many pages of posts on many subjects, and only a few show on this main page. Search for the subjects that you are interested in.

Topics covered in here tend toward Gadgetry, Weapons, Books, Tools, and a lot of other things that have captured my interest.

Please note the "Linked From Here" tab on the results, which lists search results from sites I have linked to in my posts.

Research Gun Digest




The publisher of Gun Digest now has MOST of the content from all its annual editions online in the form of a searchable, somewhat browsable, Javascript-driven web site. This not free, but is a subscription-only service at $5.95/month, $49.95/year, for unlimited queries. I suspect that most people would be better off with the monthly fee and just use the site as needed, but YMMV.

I think that it has a fair amount of room for improvement, and sent off an email to the editor with some suggestions. There are some typos, some bad links, a somewhat gawky interface, and a lack of some good browsing options, but it has the potential to be a really great resource.

Articles are shown in printable form and can be printed to PDF files using DoPDF or an equivalent printer driver. This is a sample article.

Here is the email I sent:
-----

I like what you are doing with this Gun Digest Research site, but do have a few suggestions. 1. Give us the option to browse a single entire issue from front cover to back. 2. Give us the option to search (advanced search?) only the unique articles and not the annually recurring articles. "Pierre Pulling" for instance, without having the Arms Library of every issue pop up, or "22 Hornet" without the catalog section or American Bulleted Cartridges being searched. 3. There are still a few bugs, like the link "Short Magnums: Pro & Con Part II: Con from 58th Annual Edition Gun Digest 2004" that comes up blank. 4. There are a few typos, like "22 HORKET" 5. Put up an online or downloadable/printable index of all issues, at least of authors/titles, so those of us with complete sets of the GD can do reference work without going online. Since I managed to get an article into the 1984 Digest, How to Collect SPORTING BOOKS, I guess I feel a bit of a proprietary interest in this. I thank you for making all of this information so accessible, and hope to see some of my suggestions implemented someday. Thank you for your time. Jim

I got a polite "Thank you, Jim" in reply.

(Me) (Home)

0 comments: